Sports are supposed to be fun, but they also pose a risk for injuries. Whether it's knee, neck, back, or shoulder pain, sports injuries can have a devastating impact on an individual's sporting career and social life. It's essential to understand the causes, treatment, and prevention of sports injuries. At Health First Chiropractic in Puyallup, WA, our team can help. Our chiropractor will educate you on sports injuries and provide natural treatment for your injuries. Our goal is to help you return to a healthy, pain-free life.
Causes of Sports Injuries
In whatever sports you participate in, there is a risk for injury. Sports that involve contact or heavy equipment are especially dangerous. Ultimately, sports injuries occur due to:
- Muscle overuse or repetitive movements
- Blows from other players or objects
- Inadequate rest and overdriving your body to exhaustion
- Insufficient warm-up
- Unsafe equipment
Common Sports Injuries
Here are some injuries you might suffer from as a result of playing sports:
- Fractures, sprains, and strains
- Tension headaches from concussions
- Plantar fasciitis
- Golf or runner's elbow
- Shin splints
- Torn Achilles tendon
- Back, shoulder, neck, or knee pain
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
If these injuries don't heal properly, they can lead to long-term problems, including pain, muscle soreness, restricted range of motion, and an increased risk of recurrence.
Preventing Sports Injuries
You can do several things to prevent yourself from getting injured in the first place and improve your quality of life. Here are some tips.
- Take some time off: Many sportspeople know that taking a break from the competition is vital in recovering fully. This is especially true for athletes who have participated in an activity for an extended period of time or have trained hard for it.
- Put on the right gear: Find out what kind of shoes you should wear to prevent sports injuries. Remember, wearing protective gear while playing sports builds mental and physical resilience. It also helps improve your balance and coordination, which are essential for playing sports. Wearing casual shoes, among other things, won't cut it when you're tackling a ball or playing catch with your children.
- Increase your flexibility: Exercising is one of the safest ways to prevent sports injuries. Besides, it can help you recover from an illness or injury more quickly if done regularly.
How Our Chiropractor Treats Sport Injuries
When you visit us for a sports injury, our chiropractor will perform a physical exam to look for the cause of your pain. We look for any underlying conditions, as well. After a proper diagnosis, we will create a personalized treatment plan for you. The methods we use will vary based on your injury. We offer chiropractic adjustments and spinal decompression, which work to realign the body and alleviate tension and pressure. We also provide massage therapy, which can help with sore muscles and soft tissue injuries. Our chiropractor may give you stretching and strengthening exercises to help with your recovery, as well.
Visit Our Chiropractor in Puyallup, WA for Sports Injury Treatment
Whether you are a professional athlete or participate in sports for fun, an injury can be debilitating. At Health First Chiropractic in Puyallup, WA, our chiropractor will alleviate your pain and help you recover from an injury. Call us today to schedule an appointment.